Friday, December 4, 2009

Happy 1st Birthday Jonathan!

Exactly one year ago, we were blessed with the birth of our third child, our first son. Jonathan Ignacio was born almost a week early, Dec. 5th at 8:00am weighing in at a whopping 9lbs 5oz! We didn't know the gender going into the delivery and to say I was shocked when Nacho told me it was a boy would be an understatement. I would have bet money that we were having another girl and I was thrilled with that idea. What I have learned in the last year though is that I was meant to be the mother to a son. I love all my children equally, but I have to admit in this house, the old saying is true - little girls have their Dad's wrapped around their little fingers while little boys steal their Mother's hearts.

I don't know how an entire year has gone by. How the little baby boy we brought home from the hospital is now a mobile, funny, talking little boy with his own personality. You'd think this, being the 3rd time around I'd be used to it, but I'm not. When I say I feel like his first year went by in the blink of an eye, I mean it. I have never felt time going so quickly. Which is in itself so ironic because at the same time I feel like he's been a part of our family forever.

And now, Jonathan, this is to you. Thank you for being my son. I can not imagine you not being in my life. You are a wonderful baby - happy and patient. You are a great little brother, who loves anything your sisters do to you. Although you do get the back! You love to explore and now that you're mobile you're always checking something out. Yesterday, the day before your first birthday, you took your first steps! And you can crawl faster than any baby I've seen.

You are by the far one of the sweetest babies I have ever met and I don't say that because you are my son. You are willing to give anybody a smile and you seem to sense when somebody needs some lifting up. You like to cuddle, but you are also ok just doing your own thing. You love to laugh and just like the first time you laughed, your sisters still evoke the loudest, most joyful ones.

You first year being over is bittersweet for me. I am so proud of the little boy you are becoming, but I am so sad to see my baby grow up. Although you still need me for most things, I can see you growing more independent each day. And I know that's a good thing. It means we're raising you to believe in yourself. But as your mom, I like to know I'm needed. I look forward to your second year and all that you will do.

Happy 1st Birthday to my sweet, adorable son. You make my life brighter and I am so honored to be your mom.

3 comments:

Sharon said...

Awww! He has grown and changed so much in a year! What a blessing he is! Happy 1st Birthday, sweet boy!

Stacey Cannon said...

What a beautifully precious post!!! Happy birthday little guy!! You are such a handsome thing!!!

Karen the Californian said...

Awwww!