Friday, May 7, 2010

Do You Know What Sucks?

When all three of your kids end up with a stomach virus.

Do you know what sucks more?

When two of them get sick in the same night, leaving you with very little sleep.

Do you know what sucks more than that?

When you don't realize that the baby has gotten sick sometime in the night until you go get him up for the day and his entire crib is covered in puke. And you realize you are the world's worst mother because your baby slept in his own puke all.night.long! And you are so disappointed in yourself that it doesn't even make you feel better when somebody else justifies it by saying you've raised pretty awesome kids if they don't even cry when they get sick.

Do you know what sucks more than all of this, though?

When Mom catches the stomach virus and has to take care of sick kids while barely able to lift her head. Umm, Universe, I thought we had agreed that moms can't get sick. Especially when their kids are sick. So I finally admitted defeat and asked Nacho call in sick yesterday because I knew I just couldn't do it.

And I have to give him credit - he stepped up. While I slept upstairs, he got Sam off to school and took care of the two younger ones. When the baby went down for a nap, he took Lexi to Costco and got all of our shopping done. And he even brought home flowers. I finally managed to move down to the couch to watch the younger ones while he picked Sam up from school and then he took the two oldest ones to the preschools' parent potluck. I would like to point out however I did manage to stand upright for 10 whole minutes to make a taco salad for them to take.

After a good nights' sleep, I'm feeling much better. Samantha's teacher, who is recovering from this as well, warned me that I need to take it easy or it will creep back up. The thought of taking it easy sounds heavenly, but I think I just used the one sick day I'll get this decade. And our calendar is crazier than ever, so let's just hope I bounce back as easily as the kids have. Besides, I have to clean the downstairs before I go crazy. Because while Nacho rocked it yesterday, cleaning up is not his strong suit. And making a gigantic mess is Jack's.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

What a keeper Nacho is! Hope everyone is on the mend!