There are very few songs that can move me to tears anytime I hear them. One of those songs is "Where Were You When the World Stopped Turning?" by Alan Jackson. Every time it plays, I stop what I'm doing and remember where I was on that horrible day. Today, it has been 9 years.
So, where were you when the world stopped turning?
I was in bed with my husband, when our tv came on and we both sat straight up and watched in horror as the 2nd plane struck the World Trade Center. It felt like we were watching a movie - surely this couldn't be real. As we prayed for all those people, it suddenly struck me - my mom and stepdad were flying home from Greece that very morning. I called my dad in a panic and then we sat in silence on the phone as a plane hit the Pentagon. It was at that time we decided it would be better to be together, so we drove down to his house. We sat glued to the tv all day. I'm sure we got up occasionally and we must have eaten, but I don't remember any of it. I do remember endless phone calls to the airlines, trying to get information about my mom, that never connected. I did feel better once they had grounded all flights, and I knew realistically those weren't her flights, as her only connection was in Heathrow, but the not knowing was like a sucker punch. Finally, early the next morning, I received a phone call from her - they were safe in Scotland, where they would spend the next week before being allowed to fly home.
As I listen to my 3 children running around and laughing and I feel my 4th, happily moving inside me, I am deeply humbled and grateful for all that has been sacrificed so I can sit here with my family.
To all the military personal, fire fighters, police officers, flight crews and everyday civilians who gave so much that day - THANK YOU!
ALL GAVE SOME. SOME GAVE ALL. WE WILL NOT FORGET.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment