Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Disney Princess vs. Raider Nation

Interesting match up? We thought so too. But that what it was when we took the kids to see Disney on Ice: Princess Wishes on Sunday to celebrate Lu's 4th birthday. And I should take the time to mention now that I am a horrible mother for not giving her birthday due recognition here with its own post. She did however have an entire weekend that was all about her, so I hope make up some points there.


Back to the match up. Disney on Ice was held at Oracle Arena at 10:30. The Raiders had a home game RIGHT.NEXT.DOOR at 1pm. And by right next door, I mean they share a parking lot. And if you know nothing else about Raiders fans, it's that they take football seriously. Which means the parking lot opened up at 8am for people to start tailgaiting. And tailgate they did. They were nice enough to open up a back parking lot for the Disney people and bus us in to the front of the arena, but apparently decided getting us back after the show wasn't quite as important. And who knew people liked to pay the parking fee to tailgate and not actually go into the game. Because when we came out they were still tailgaiting, even though kick off had been 30 min. before. So we got to walk our beautiful, sweet, innocent children through the Raider Nation. People this is the kind of stuff I'm talking about:



(in an effort of full disclosure, we didn't actually see anybody who looked like this. Well only one. But I know that they were around)

I'm sure they're very nice people, but frankly they scare me. They were playing the Eagles and I thought about a shout for my friend Christy, but then I remembered I was SCARED!

Anyways, the show was great. I was actually surprised at the quality of it. But I do have to admit, listening to all the music made me want to be back in Disneyland. But really, is there ever a time I don't want to be there?



And I was very proud of my husband, who despite being so close to his team (he's a non-scary Raiders fan), didn't try to escape the Disney Princesses once. That I know of. After waiting 30 minutes to get out of the parking lot after the show, we turned on the Raiders game on the radio. And much to our chagrin they were winning. WHAT?? The Raiders winning. They almost never do that. And much less against the Eagles. We got home in time for the second half, except of course it wasn't televised. Because the Raiders are normally so bad that if they don't sell out a home game, they aren't on TV. But hey, they actually won this one!

And for the record, I am a born & bred true 49ers faithful.

1 comment:

Christy said...

Such gorgeous princesses!

Don't remind me of that dark, dark day for Eagles fans. The only way I can explain it is that the sports gods were saving all of the Philadelphia luck for the Phillies NLS game that night.