Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I've got a bunch of random thoughts floating around in my head, none of which would make for a very good post on their own, so I'm going to put them all together here. So you've been warned - this probably won't make a whole lot of sense!

Yesterday was parent watch at the girls' ballet. They both did great, but OMG Samantha is amazing. And I don't say that because she is mine. I could only hope to have the grace she does. She absolutely blew me away yesterday. While I'm bragging on her, last week her teacher told me that she is the highest level reader in the grade! She has blossomed in kindergarten and it has been so much fun to watch. Speaking of kindergarten, I registered Lu for kindergarten last week. I can't believe I'll have TWO school aged kids in just a few months.

I rarely get political on here, but way to go MA!! I am so happy to see Brown elected into Kennedy's seat. I can only hope midterm elections are as successful and we can finally get Boxer out of office here. I'm so happy to see that some of the country is beginning to feel that the "change" they so desperately wanted, isn't the "change" we needed.

I cannot believe how different our parenting style is from other peoples'. That isn't to say I think we're doing it better or that our kids are perfect because we know that isn't true. But we've raised our kids to sit at the table while they eat, that they don't jump on furniture, that they apologize when they've hurt somebody (both feelings & physical) even if it was an accident and that we always use please & thank you. I honestly thought these were givens, but I'm beginning to think we're the exception not the rule.

Today a mom friend posted on FB asking if it was normal that parents bring McDs to lunch for their kids. I'll say I didn't get any judgement from her question - it seemed a honest curiosity. But some of the responses she got came off so judgemental and it kind of shocked me. Do I think kids need McD's all the time. NOT AT ALL. Have I let my kids have it before? YES. As a matter of fact, I did take it to Sam at school last week as a surprise. She has been feeling a little left out because she's gone at school all day and her siblings are home and she feels she missing all this fun. For the record, she's not missing any fun, but I can understand her feelings. So I did something nice for her. But back the FB responses. Some people said they help out in other ways like volunteering in the classrooms, etc. And I'm sure they do. But I don't understand how that relates to the McDs stuff. Is it just explaining why they don't have lunch with their kids? I don't think they need to have lunch with their kids. I honestly find it taxing to be in a room full of that many loud, rude kids (especially when I have the little ones with me) but Sam asked me to, it makes her happy and so I do it. I also help out in her classroom, at her school parties, I'm active in the PTA and am at almost all of the PTA events, especially during the day at school. I have the time and it makes her happy I'm there. There will be a time where those things aren't true, so I take it where I can. I don't know - maybe I'm feeling defensive because I did take Sam McD's and it was said more than once that people who do that are bad mothers. However, I know that doesn't make me a bad mother. Just like not coming to have lunch with their child doesn't make somebody else a bad mother.

Hmm, the baby is walking! I tried for 4 days to get video of him doing it, but everytime he saw the camera, he'd crawl over to me to try to get it. This boy isn't stupid - he knows he can crawl way faster than he can walk. So we finally resulted to making him chase his breakfast. It worked. So in order of importance it's 1) food 2) electronics and then 3) Mom! It's a good thing he's my 3rd or I might actually be offended by that order. I do have to say I love those first unsteady baby steps.

Well that's all for now. I have to admit I like this style of posting!

3 comments:

Christy said...

As the Mom you mentioned, I want to make a few clarifications. :-) I wasn't asking if it was normal, I was simply wondering whether Jack was exaggerating about his classmates' moms coming to school and bringing take-out since neither orientation nor school newsletters ever mentioned parents coming to school to eat with their children.

Also, none of my friends said anything about "bad mothers" and I know for a fact that all of us in the thread get the occasional happy meal for our children. We do all think they can do without food like that at lunch for various reasons but that's one of those "to each, his own" situations. Volunteering in the classroom was mentioned as the way they/we see our kids at school rather than having lunch with them. It wasn't a justification of any sort b/c I don't think any of us feel like we need to justify having our kids eat lunch with their classmates while we are home with our other kids or working. That's the norm for school-age children.

I'm truly sorry to hear that the post made you feel defensive. That certainly wasn't my intention and I feel comfortable speaking for my friends when I say it wasn't theirs either. We all know that every mom does her best and even when we don't agree, we're all on the same team.

Jamie said...

You're right - I stand corrected - nobody said the words "bad mom". But I do stand by the fact that I feel there was a lot of judgement in a lot of the comments about moms who 1) have lunch with their kids and 2) may bring fast food for those lunches. That being said, I've had lunch a handful of times with Sam, always at her request and only once have I brought fast food.

Gween said...

Sorry to hear you felt defensive...I think what you did is sweet. I've honestly never even thought of going to have lunch with Ryan but probably because I'm working. And for me to make that trip, I'd have to take almost 3 hours out of my day.
Sometimes I miss having that option.

Sometimes.

And yeah for your little man! I can't believe just how fast all of our children are growing up.
You know it won't surprise me at all to be keeping in touch with all of my on-line friends from the nursing home...talking and bragging about our grandchildren!